Finish Your Diploma

High School Equivalency Test Types

Adult students on computers at an education center

Take the test that’s right for you.

Depending on where you live, you’ll need to take either the GED® or the HiSET®. Each will give you the same credential needed to finish your high school equivalency diploma. Read on to find out more.

Your local center will help prepare you for the correct test in your region.

What is the GED®?

The GED® test is a four-subject high school equivalency test that measures skills required by high schools, colleges, and employers. The four subjects are science, social studies, mathematical reasoning, and reasoning through language arts (RLA). Once you pass the GED® test, your diploma or credential will be issued by your state, and you’ll receive a GED® transcript that you can use to apply to college, start a training program, or get a better job.

Learn more about the GED®.

What is the HiSET®?

The HiSET® covers five subjects measuring your academic knowledge compared to a high school graduate. The subjects are Language arts — Reading; Language Arts — writing; Mathematics; Social Studies; and Science. Depending on where you live, the exam may be taken at a testing center on a computer or as a paper test.

Learn more about the HiSET©.

View all Graduate Stories

  • I felt embarrassed to come back to school. But eventually I knew it was for a bigger goal.


    Age 38 when he set the same example for his son that his dad set for him.

    Download Transcript

  • It felt very different from high school. I did not feel like I was alone.


    Earned her diploma and made her grandfather proud.

    Download Transcript

  • I wasn’t sure I could do it… but the teachers and counselors, they help you.


    Age 47 when his hard work and mentor’s support paid off.

    Download Transcript

Questions you may have about the high school equivalency test.

The process is different for everyone. Your local adult education center will help you create a course schedule and learning plan tailored to your level, as well as how much time you can spend studying.

Depending on where you live, there are two different high school equivalency tests: the GED® or the HiSET®. Each will provide you with the same high school equivalent credential and allow you to finish your diploma. 

No matter which test your state uses, your local adult education center will be well prepared to guide you through the process and prepare you to take the right test. To get started, use our Zip Code Search and contact your local adult education center for more information.

Find your local adult education center.

The cost of the high school equivalency test varies from state to state. In some cases, the test may be free. Contact your local adult education center by using our Zip Code Search, or visit your state’s adult education website to check your state’s testing policies.

Find your local adult education center.

Start by using the Zip Code Search to find an adult education center near you. Then show up to the center and a dedicated support staff member will be ready and waiting to help answer all your questions. You won’t even have to come back to this website if you don’t want to.

Hear how adult education centers support you.

Some students may be eligible to take the test online under the supervision of a live proctor. When signing up for the test online, be careful:  if you see a test on the internet claiming to be a certified high school equivalency that’s not through the official GED® website,  it is not a legitimate program. Be sure to double check with the support staff at your local adult education center. 

Learn more about online testing on the official GED® website.